Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Spiritually Secure, Intellectually UNimpressed

So I've been reading Sam Harris' Letter to a Christian Nation. I heard that it was a leading book in the New Atheist movement, that Ravi Zacharias had written a response, and that the book was sweeping the nation. So, I bought the book to see what all the fuss as about.

I'm twelve pages from done, and I don't know, honestly what the fuss is about. Richard Dawkins, Daniel Dennet, they're forces to be reckoned with, who have legitimate arguments that need to be dealt with. But Sam Harris has constructed a leaning Tower of Pisa out of toothpicks and mini-marshmallows and is trying to pass it off as the latest Pentagon-designed weaponry against Christian thought.

Of course, no new atheist writing will ever "undermine" Christianity; that would be saying that someone could write a book that would destroy the law of gravity. It's not possible, from my point of view. Christian thought (which is not an oxy-moron, as Harris claims) will always be able to defend itself, assuming it's truth, as I do. Hence, I am spiritually secure at the end of the letter, despite the countless promises by critics(Christian and non-Christian alike) who say that the letter will shake the very foundations of my faith.

Intellectually, though, I'm disappointed with the work. I wanted something deep, something strong, an argument that would take real think power to undo. Sam Harris, if he's as smart as the NAs believe him to be (and I think he is), could easily undermine his own arguments with a little iota of thought. The only daunting part is the sheer number, but careful inspection belies their flimsy, faulty construction. I wanted a challenge, I got a fuzzy lollipop stick (how disappointing).

What I'm wondering, though, is how wrong I am for feeling that way. Is it arrogance that craves the chance to debate NAs? Am I being humble when I can see on every page how his Atheism argument can't hold a candle to my Christianity? The answer to both is yes. If I "love my neighbor as myself," should I want Sam Harris to be a powerful NA? If I care about the fate of his and all immortal souls, should I be disappointed with the flimsy nature o his argument? The answer to these, is no. Balancing intellectual pursuits with spiritual duties is always hard, and I've fallen.

And in that simple realization I'm grateful for the 100 millionth time that God is real, is gracious, and that He loves me.

No comments: